PDX Breakfast Blog

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Sagittarius







Sagittarius

2710 N Killingsworth St


Date:
4/1/07
Arrival: 11:00am








This NoPo bar quickly became a favorite for my friends and I when it first opened. The décor is fun, yet hard to describe – a mixture of 1960’s mod and Japanese design with old school diner flavor.



The staff at Sagittarius are all friendly. Perhaps that can be attributed to the owners, Mike and Robin Clark, who are two of the nicest people you will ever meet. I wouldn’t consider myself an official “regular”, especially since I live nowhere near the Overlook neighborhood, yet Robin always manages to remember my name. Her husband Mike’s second “job” is working as a full-time member of The Jicks, aka Stephen Malkmus’ band. This might explain why there are a couple of Pavement-themed drinks on the menu.


Recently Sagittarius added Sunday brunch to their menu. When a couple of Lurvely London Ladies came to Portland, we decided to take them to Sag to try out their new meals. The “Late Riser Brunch” does not begin until 11am. They were clearly catering towards people who were out partying the night before, as there was a drink on the menu called “hangover helper”, which Lynsey quickly ordered. Each meal came with tater tots, a fun alternative to the usual hash browns. I believe we got to witness history in the making when both Lou and Lynsey had their first ever tater tot. It was a beautiful moment.


I ordered the Rising Sign Scramble (spinach, roasted red peppers, carmelized onions, basil, and parmesan cheese). It was good, but I’m thinking it would have been better with cheddar instead of parmesan cheese. The tater tots were delicious, but I found myself wanting potatoes and/or hash browns instead. I really shouldn’t complain because this was the cheapest breakfast menu I’ve seen in quite some time. I ordered a mimosa to wash everything down, because it just didn’t feel right to be inside the Sagittarius without alcohol by my side.





Kara was impressed with her Siesta Scramble (black beans, cheddar ‘n jack cheese, topped with salsa and sour cream). She was very excited to have tots on her breakfast plate.




Lou ordered scrambled eggs with toast. I think she was secretly wishing that she had some tots on her plate as well, especially after trying some of ours.




Lynsey was happy with her Rising Sign Scramble without parmesan cheese. She described the “Hangover Helper” drink as tasting like cough syrup. Don’t let it stop you from ordering it though, as it is a delicious cough syrup!





If you find yourself hungover at 11am on a Sunday, Sagittarius is the place to be for a quick and cheap breakfast. Even if you arrive before 11am, there are Tuffy Toilets outside to save the day.



Wait Time Inside:
0 minutes

Wait Time For Food:
15 minutes

Service:
Fast and Friendly

Food: Tater Tots for breakfast!
Options:
Not a lot of options, just a few scrambles.

Price:
$5-6, cheapest breakfast ever

Atmosphere: fun and hangover-friendly

1 Comments:

Blogger kara lee said...

:D

yum!

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home