PDX Breakfast Blog

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Screen Door







Screen Door

2337 E. Burnside


Date:
1/14/07
Arrival:
9:47am









After opening in 2006, Screen Door has quickly become a favorite amongst locals for it’s Southern food and friendly service. If you are ever in the need for some comfort food, this is the place to be. Their dinner menu is meat-heavy, however it does have a few delicious side dishes for the vegetarians. I was very impressed with the options on the breakfast menu, which contained a “build-a-breakfast” section, scrambles, biscuits & gravy, grits, benedicts, French toast, pancakes, etc. It seems that no matter what you are craving for breakfast, Screen Door can make it for you.

Screen Door always seems to tempt me with their special chalkboard menu items. I glanced over and noticed “homemade cinnamon rolls” written down as one of today's specials. Okay, fine. I took the bait and ordered one for myself. It was very delicious, yet not as gooey as I would have preferred. Kara agreed.




For the main menu option, I decided that the tofu & egg scramble (w/ onions, peppers, spinach, mushrooms, and cheddar) was calling my name. This is quite possibly one of the best scrambles I’ve ever had. When restaurants know how to cook tofu properly, it’s a beautiful thing. Their potatoes are very delicious and seasoned to perfection.




Mandy ordered the biscuits w/ vegetarian gravy. This is kind of a big deal because Mandy normally hates gravy, but Screen Door is an exception. I’m not normally a biscuits & gravy kind of gal myself, but I took one bite and was won over. It’s delicious, but very filling.




Kara and Katie both ordered the mushroom & egg scramble (w/ caramelized onions, fresh herbs, and gruyere). Katie ordered a side of cheese grits and Kara went with the potatoes. They both had zero complaints and were very pleased with their meal.




Alicia ordered the tofu hash. When asked about her meal, she said, “No complaints.”




My only complaint of the day might have been the waiting time, but it was well worth it in the end.


Wait Time Inside: 33 minutes

Wait Time For Food:
15-20 minutes
Service:
Very friendly
Food:
no complaint from anyone!
Options: Lots of options for meat and veggies. See menu above!
Price: $7.95 – 8.95

Atmosphere:
Southern hospitality in PDX

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home