PDX Breakfast Blog

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Tin Shed








Tin Shed Café
1438 NE Alberta

Date: 2/4/07
Time: 11:30am








Ah, the Tin Shed. I’m extremely surprised that this restaurant has not been written up in my blog already. It is an old favorite of mine. At the beginning of February, Portland received a surprise visit from 2 of our favorite Aussies, Jacobus and Caroline. They were in town for a few days during their West Coast tour. The last time I saw them was when Kara and I were in Amsterdam (AKA a million years ago). We decided to treat them to a good old fashioned ‘merican breakfast. It was entertaining to hear them ask such questions as, “What are grits?” and “What is a buttermilk biscuit?”


We were seated in the outdoor covered area, featuring heaters (yes!), a fireplace, and serve-yo-self coffee. After explaining our strange food to the foreigners, Jacobus and Caroline decided to go with the Alberta scramble, a side of grits, and potato cakes. They were happy with everything, except they refused to eat their grits. (I’ll share a little secret, I’m not a fan of grits, either. I KNOW! Shhh, don’t tell anyone! I really try to like them each and every time I’m at a new restaurant, but I just don’t. Sorry.)



Tiah ordered the biscuits and gravy. Look at how tiny those biscuits are! She was not too happy with that. Who could blame her?



Kara and I both ended up ordering the How Latin with veggie sausage. I usually order the Goat Boy, but I decided to give this one a try and it’s delicious! Look at that avocado! Tin Shed’s potato cakes are the best in town. I crave them dailyy.



Tin Shed still rocks my socks. We were happy to share our meal with the lovely Jacobus and Caroline.






Wait Time Inside: 25 minutes
Wait Time For Food: 15 minutes
Service: Very friendly
Food: Delicious. Potato cakes = awesome. Biscuits & Gravy = tiny.
Options: lots of scrambles, veggie friendly (although they have been known to accidentally put meat into veggie dishes.)
Price: $7-8
Atmosphere: Laid back, very Alberta

1 Comments:

Blogger kara lee said...

i also remember that tiah ordered "bacon" gravy or some business and that there was *maybe* one teeny fleck of bacon. she was seriously disappointed!

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home