PDX Breakfast Blog

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Genie's Café








Genie’s Café

1101 SE Division St


Date:
11/19/06

Arrival:
9:30am








Ah, Genie’s. I have fond memories of venturing to Genie’s 4 or 5 years ago, but for some reason I had never returned until this past Sunday. It was a rainy morning, but that didn’t stop the Breakfast Mafia from enjoying the most important meal of the day. Genie’s seems to be known for its breakfast cocktail atmosphere. With a bar in the back room, and Black Sabbath’s Iron Man blaring in the speakers, we almost forgot that it was 9:30am and most of our friends were asleep in their beds at home. I personally cannot partake in alcohol before Noon, but that certainly did not stop me from admiring the sea of Bloody Mary’s all around me.

Armed with Stumptown Coffee, the mafia and I endured the rain outside until we were seated near the bar. Now, just a forewarning, this is not going to be the most extensive breakfast review ever. The reason is this – the food was amazing and I personally was lost inside my French toast stuffed with pear aguadulce, drizzled with sweet cream sauce. Yes, I know that sounds exotic and sexy. It was. I was too busy falling in love with that to take down quotes from the rest of the breakfast crew, but I do know that nobody had any complaints. Actually, my only complaint is that I wished that my French toast slices were larger. I know what you are thinking, didn’t I just complain LAST WEEK about how large my French toast was at Gravy? I know, I guess I’m never completely satisfied. Trust me on this, I did not want my meal to end.

And now for some pictures, as always...

My petite French toast (this dark picture doesn't do it any justice!)





Alexis - Scramble w/ tortilla chips, black beans, scallions, and cheddar. Sadly, no guac.





Jay and Kara - Veggie Benedict with Obrien's potatoes





Anne - Buttermilk pancakes






Wait Time Outside: 23 minutes
Wait Time For Food: 14 minutes
Service: Friendly, almost forced us to order cocktails
Food: Very tasty, hardly any complaints from us.
Options: Lots of scrambles and benedicts.
Price: $6-8
Atmosphere: breakfast cocktail atmosphere with Black Sabbath

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home