PDX Breakfast Blog

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Stepping Stone Café







Stepping Stone Café

2390 NW Quimby


Date:
12/10/06

Arrival:
9:30am








I’ve been so busy with getting ready for the holidays that I have slacked on my breakfast blogging. Right now I am currently multitasking like a madwoman by wrapping presents, doing laundry, making my brother a mix CD, watching The Breakfast Club on TV (how appropriate), and updating the blog.

A couple of weekends ago I ate my very first breakfast in Northwest PDX. The NW generally has the stereotype of being expensive. Don’t let this stereotype fool you, as there are some hidden gems sprinkled in the alphabet district. The Stepping Stone Café must not be overlooked. I completely fell in love with its friendly diner atmosphere. Super hero action figures dangle from the ceiling at Stepping Stone. They are connected to the front door by fishing wire, so every time someone walks inside the café, Spider Man may drop down in front of your plate if you are sitting at the bar. Amazing, right? I tried to capture that in this photo, but I don’t think it worked.



The food was not the most amazing breakfast food I’ve ever had, but it was tasty and it did the job. My only complaint was that the hash browns were not shredded or crispy, and that is how I prefer them. I ordered the cinnamon French toast and it was delicious, but unfortunately I am now comparing every piece of French toast that I eat to the French toast that I had at Genie’s Café on Division Street last month. Perhaps I just need to erase that meal from my memory so that I can judge future French toast fairly? I think so.




Jay ordered the avocado omelet. He said it was very delicious and he had no complaints about the omelet. I seem to remember him complaining about the hash browns, though. Again, those were NOT hash browns, or at least not by our standards.


Kara was not too adventurous and decided to go with a basic 2 eggs, toast, and the infamous hash browns. She enjoyed the “hash browns” because they reminded her of what her mom used to fix her when she was a kid, but she agreed that she prefers the good ol' shredded 'n crispy variety that we have all grown to love.



Overall, I was quite pleased with my first breakfast experience in NW Portland at Stepping Stone Café.

Wait Time Inside: 0 minutes, yes ZERO!
Wait Time For Food: 15 minutes
Service: Very friendly and fast
Food: Tasty, but not the best breakfast ever.
Options: I don’t recall a plethora of options
Price: $5-8
Atmosphere: Fun! Superhero action figures, Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody blasting in our ears, and the Grinch painted on the front door. What more could you ask for?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home