PDX Breakfast Blog

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Gravy







Gravy
3957 N Mississippi Ave

Date:
11/11/06

Arrival: 9:20am








I am proud to report that the breakfast mafia is growing. How, you may ask, did I convince people to wake up before Noon on a Saturday and join me for breakfast? The answer is simple: a good old-fashioned guilt trip. I informed them that I would be flying to Chicago tomorrow and that if I were to die in a plane crash, this could be the very last time they would ever have breakfast with me. The guilt trip worked and I was pleasantly surprised when half of the LAK house (a famous house in NoPo, home to many wonderful ladies) showed up sleepy-eyed and ready to eat.

I was excited to travel to the great country of NoPo this morning to try out Gravy on Mississippi. We were immediately taken with the place; it was very cute inside.



A few of us noticed an “Animal Lovers” section on the menu. I think “Meat Lovers” would’ve been a more appropriate word choice, but I quickly forgot about that and began drooling all over the rest of the menu. Amongst the scrambles (featuring a "make your own" option), the pancakes, the fried egg sandwiches, and the “animal lovers” sections, I found French toast on Challuh bread. Aha, I made my choice.

We all noticed that breakfast at Gravy was a bit on the spendy side. Most menu items were between $8-12. We quickly discovered that it’s because the portions are GINORMOUS at Gravy. Were they expecting most of their patrons to be Sumo wrestlers this morning? I’m not sure, but I do know that not one person at our table finished their meal today. In fact, we were all so stuffed and unable to speak. I leave you with the few brief quotes that I managed to obtain from my friends.

Mandy: Greco Scramble
Quote: “OMG, this cheese smells. It’s good, but I recommend splitting meals. At least I’ll have breakfast for tomorrow!


Lex: Make-Your-Own Scramble w/ avocado, cheddar, and black olives. Hash browns on the side.
Quote: “Great portions, but I need more flava!”



Anne & Melinda: French Toast on Challuh bread
Quote from myself: “I liiiike, but I can’t finish. The jew bread is so good.”



Kara: Romeo scramble w/ onions, provolone, peppers, and veggie sausage.
Quote: “Portions are definitely too big!”



Jay: 1 biscuit w/ veggie gravy, 2 eggs, hashbrowns.
Quote: *grabs stomach*
“uhhhhhhhghhhhhhhhhhhhh.”



I decided that the food was very very delicious, but if I ever go to Gravy again, I would probably share one meal with 6 people.


Wait Time Outside: 23 minutes
Wait Time For Food: About 25 minutes
Service: Friendly, but it took them a while to take our order.
Food: Everything was tasty, but the portions are made for Sumo wrestlers.
Options: Lots of options. I liked that they had a make-your-own-scramble.
Price: $8-12, scrambles were either $8.75 or $9.75. Spendy due to the portions.
Atmosphere: cute, awesome art on the walls, kid-friendly, Van Morrison in the background.

1 Comments:

Blogger Twila Jean said...

Super excited to have stumbled on your blog! I linked to you here on my blog, after having a delicious breakfast at Gravy!
http://www.twilajean.com/2012/02/traditional.html

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home